Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Slumdog Muslim Millionaires!



Asalaam'aaleykum!

'Slumdog Millionaire' should have been named what I 've mentioned in the title because of the participation and performance of so many Muslims in it. A.R Rehman, Resul Pookutty, child actor Rubina and Muhammad Azharuddin made it very big in the Oscar award program for their respective contribution in the movie. They all are Muslims by name and also by faith.

Newspapers in India are flooded with news related to the so-called great achievment after the movie has swept 8 Oscars out of 10 categories it was nominated in. As an Indian and a Muslim, I have nothing much to celebrate for the very obvious reason.

There have been so many better Indian movies than this one but since it is a non-bollywood British Movie, so bagging bunch of Oscars has not surprised me much. Because Oscar for real Indian movie has still remained a big dream for Indians.

Coming down to Muslim factor-that didn't surprise me either. Many [Muslims] may be cherishing this moment but I am certainly not one of them. All the Muslims mentioned above may be sincere in their intention when it comes to their religion (which is no doubt Islam) but their involvement in not-so-halal-activity is something that is not making me celebrate it.

Let me keep this post short and precise. I am neither trying to criticize the movie nor the people associated with it. I am just letting myself say what I have to.

I sincerely pray for everyone (including myself) that we be guided by Allah (s.w.t) to the Sirat-al-Mustaqeem. Avoiding haram and accepting halal.. Ameen!

Stumble Upon Toolbar
blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment